Tuesday, October 18, 2011

UIS student named to national AAUW Student Advisory Council

Caitlin Crane, a junior Management Information Systems major from O'Fallon, Ill. has been selected to serve on the 2011-2012 American Association of University Women (AAUW) Student Advisory Council.

Crane will advise the national organization and offer a student’s perspective during monthly conference calls. She will also attend a two-day leadership retreat in Washington, D.C. later this month and assume a leadership role at the National Conference for College Women Student Leaders this summer.

“The trips to Washington, D.C. will be a great opportunity to meet women leaders of all ages from across the country,” said Crane. “I hope the position will allow me to make a difference in the lives of women both at UIS and in the wider world.”

Crane is a member of the Springfield branch of AAUW. The national organization will cover all of her travel expenses for both of the trips.

“Thank you to Kay Henriksen and Lynn Otterson, who encouraged my interest in women's issues, and to the many strong female figures in my life, who inspire me every day. Without their help and encouragement, I would not have received this opportunity,” said Crane.

Students serving on the 2010-2011 Student Advisory Council came from schools, such as the University of Michigan, UC - Berkeley, St. Mary's College, Notre Dame, Stetson University, and Mount Holyoke College.

No comments: