Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Leadership lived: Clinical Laboratory Science major takes on national leadership role

After attending the University of Illinois Springfield for only a year, senior Clinical Laboratory Science major Courtney Lower has already gained three leadership positions.

During a July 2013 trip to the American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science (ASCLS) conference, Lower successfully ran for the position of Student Forum Secretary against other students from around the country.

“From the people I’ve talked to, there haven’t been many people from Illinois who have been this involved, so I feel honored,” said Lower.

The Terre Haute, Indiana native already holds a bachelor’s degree in biology, but decided to return to school in order to take on a greater career challenge.

“I like to be given a problem and try to figure it out,” said Lower.

For Lower, clinical laboratory science is more than just looking under a microscope and examining specimens. She knows she’s helping real people by helping doctor’s diagnose illnesses.

“It makes me feel good because, I know that I might not be the doctor, but I’m behind the scenes and I do play an important role in people’s lives,” said Lower.

Lower chose UIS because of the personal attention from faculty and the UIS Clinical Laboratory Science program’s 100 percent job placement rate.

“The faculty and staff here at UIS, they allow a lot of one-on-one attention,” said Lower. “Right now we only have 10 people in our class, so the one-on-one attention is very helpful, especially when you have questions and basically it’s just like they’re talking to you.”

In addition to her national leadership role, Lower is also chair of the ASCLS-Illinois Student Forum and student representative for ASCLS Region VI.