Friday, September 26, 2014

Leadership lived: Soccer player finds perfect fit on and off the field

Manuel Gomez, a business administration and global studies major, chose the University of Illinois Springfield because of the personalized attention he receives on and off the field.

The UIS Prairie Stars men’s soccer player is a first generation college student who’s passionate about the environment. He’s a recycling advocate who is currently doing research on Hispanics and the environment.

After he graduates from UIS, he’d like to earn his master’s degree in environmental studies and eventually work for the Environmental Protection Agency.

“I picked UIS because of the size of the campus. It’s really small, which provides a one-on-one connection with my professors,” said Gomez.

Gomez has been playing soccer since he was 5 or 6 years old. For the past three years, the Collinsville, Illinois native has been a forward on the men’s soccer team. It’s taught him many lessons about leadership.

“Time management is one of the many things I learned here at UIS and just (to) be ready for everything, said Gomez.

Gomez is busy on campus, also serving as an International Student Ambassador and a member of the Organization of Latin American Students (OLAS).

“I feel like the atmosphere is good for me. It’s a great atmosphere overall (at UIS),” said Gomez.