Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Leadership lived: UIS tennis player stays busy on and off the court

Faith Hook has been playing tennis since she was 13-years-old. Her love of the game brought her to the University of Illinois Springfield to play for the Prairie Stars.

“Being a part of the tennis team, it’s a lot of time management, but it’s so much fun. I wouldn’t trade it for anything,” she said.

Hook is also busy off the court as a member of the Mock Trial team and Model United Nations. She volunteers with the Illinois Innocence Project and hopes to attend law school after she graduates from UIS.

“At the Innocence Project, we get cases from inmates and we’ll evaluate them, ask them for transcripts and associate back and forth,” said Hook. “I’ll come up with a case evaluation and present it during our meetings.”

Working with the Innocence Project and recently attending the National Model United Nations Conference in New York City have given her valuable hands on experience. During the conference, UIS students represented Bosnia and Herzegovina in mock debates on the United Nations floor.

“It’s just been an experience and something that will definitely help me in the long run and I’ll carry with me for the rest of my life,” she said.

The sociology and anthropology major credits UIS with helping her succeed and giving her the opportunity to be involved in so many activities.

“UIS is really good with not scheduling things over other things, so you can become involved in more than one group,” she said.