Monday, November 17, 2014

Leadership lived: International student gets involved at UIS

When Aerie Nguyen took the 30 hour flight from Vietnam to the United States she didn’t know what to expect. However, when she arrived at the University of Illinois Springfield she found a warm and welcoming environment.

Nguyen quickly got involved on campus and is now the president of the Asian Student Organization, vice president of the International Student Association, and a chair member for the UIS student chapter of the Society for Human Resource Management.

“I love it here so much. My experience here at UIS is wonderful as a student leader,” said Nguyen.

She admits to being homesick at first, but that quickly changed when she realized all of the opportunities available to her on campus.

“When I first came here I felt super lonely because I was just by myself,” she said. “I figured I had to do something different.”

That’s when she decided to get involved on campus, first with the Asian Student Organization and International Student Association as a member.

“I really like the experience at UIS. I’ve learned a lot,” she said. “In the U.S., everything’s different from Vietnam. I love it here. I make every second count.”

After she graduates from UIS, she plans to work either in the United States or Vietnam.