Thursday, March 18, 2010

WUIS statehouse reporter honored with Associated Press awards

WUIS/Illinois Public Radio statehouse reporter Amanda Vinicky is being honored for her coverage of hard-hitting news and feature reporting.

Vinicky won two first place awards in the Illinois Associated Press Broadcaster’s Association 2009 Journalism Excellence Contest. In the category of Best Investigative Report/Series she received first place for her piece “Tracing Blagojevich’s Hidden Bank Deposits”. She also received first place in Best Light Feature with her piece “The Quest for Healthy Fare at the Fair”.

"One of the many things I love about my job is that I get to cover hard-hitting, political news, but that I also have the chance to produce fun features. It's an honor to receive awards that reflect both of those priorities. That wide range is why I love listening to WUIS too," said Vinicky.

Vinicky has been reporting for WUIS public radio for four years out of its bureau in the state capitol press room. During that time, Vinicky has covered major events like the impeachment of former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich. She’s a 2003 graduate of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign where she majored in Journalism and Political Science. In 2005 she earned her master’s degree through the UIS Public Affairs Reporting program.

Listen to one of the award-winning reports:
“Tracing Blagojevich’s Hidden Bank Deposits” - Blagojevich Bank Deposits.mp3 (PC only)