Monday, March 23, 2015

Leadership lived: Student Trustee makes sure others have a voice

University of Illinois Springfield senior Hannah Cave can usually be found meeting with students on campus or attending one of many committee meetings.

The Global Studies major was elected UIS Student Representative to the University of Illinois Board of Trustees in April 2014. She’s also a resident assistant (RA) on campus.

“As the Student Trustee, I really engage with the students,” said Cave. “On campus, I serve with the Student Government Association as an ex officio member. I’m at the meetings every Sunday and at events. I go to a lot of committee meetings on campus and off.”

As the Student Trustee, Cave works closely with the student representatives on the Urbana-Champaign and Chicago campuses to make sure student’s voices are heard. The three Student Trustees share a single vote, which allows them to shape university policy.

“It’s been a really great learning experience,” said Cave. “I’ve met a lot of really great people and really learned a lot about myself, my students, my peers, and how universities work as a whole.”

On the board, she works alongside professional board members appointed by the governor, and the president and chancellors of the three U of I campuses.

“I’m sitting at the table discussing these issues with very smart, very successful people and getting that experience is really phenomenal,” she said.

Following graduation, Cave wants to be a middle school or high school social studies teacher or possibly work in higher education student affairs. It’s a career choice that has been shaped by her experiences at UIS.

“Being able to be an advocate, as well as a representative of the students, is really great and important to me,” said Cave.