Thursday, October 20, 2005

Jamison looks forward to the opportunities that await her at UIS

By Melanie Cain

In an effort to learn more about some of UIS’ newest faculty members, we will be interviewing some of them and asking them to share their stories.

Although Kathy Petitte Jamison was not really looking for a full-time teaching position, when the opportunity to join the UIS faculty as an associate professor of Communication came along, she simply couldn’t turn it down. “Being a doctoral student and teaching assistant is work enough, but I happened to come across a position at UIS, and it sounded perfect for me,” she says.

“Having earned my master’s at UIS and knowing what it’s like to be a single parent, work two jobs, and attend school full-time, I figured I could relate well to the many UIS students who still fit this description. Besides, I’ve always thought well of the Communication program here,” says Jamison.

Jamison received her bachelor’s degree, with a double major in English and Fine Art, from Illinois College in 1991. She then received her master of arts in mass media communication from UIS in 1998. Jamison is currently a Ph.D. candidate in the Institution of Communications Research at UIUC.

Although the path to her current position has been long and certainly not easy, Jamison is proud of her accomplishment. “Among my achievements, my education is what I am most proud of. It’s been a long, hard road, and I’m not done yet,” she says.

What does Jamison enjoy most about being a professor? “I enjoy the on-going research and learning that goes into teaching a subject,” she explains. “Like most other teachers, I also enjoy it when students say they really got something useful out of a class.”

Overall, Jamison is excited about the opportunities that await her in the upcoming school year. “What I’m looking forward to the most during my time at UIS is getting settled, becoming part of the academic community, and making new friends,” says Jamison.

“It will also be very exciting as UIS moves from an upper-division school to a four-year school,” she says. “The expansion of the university, the professionalism and friendliness of everyone I’ve met to date – these are things I’m looking forward to being part of.”

Like many other professors, Jamison enjoys a wide variety of leisure activities, but has some difficulty finding the time to fit them all in. “Once a semester starts, I unfortunately have very little free time,” she says. “However, if I had free time, I would like to spend some of it with friends; gobble up every good independent and foreign film I could get my hands on; travel; dance - salsa, swing, and tango; and cook.”

No comments: