Friday, April 29, 2011

Andy Egizi wins the 2011 CAPE Award

Andy Egizi
, program information coordinator for the Department of Liberal & Integrative Studies (LIS) was honored with the eighth annual Chancellor's Academic Professional Excellence Award (CAPE) on April 28, 2011.

Egizi has been working at UIS for 17 years advising online and on campus LIS majors, coordinating online enrollment, voluntarily helping other programs, and mentoring other academic advisers.

“He freely shares advising tips with other online program coordinators, thus contributing to the success of our entire online enterprise, is trusted by faculty… and is one of the pioneers of online degree programs at UIS,” said Harry Berman, UIS Chancellor.

In nominating him for the award, his anonymous supporter noted his current work on bringing continuing education courses to Liberal & Integrative Studies.

“If I’m here it’s because I represent all of you and the excellence you have,” said Egizi in accepting the award. “I look around and see all kinds of excellent people, so I congratulate all of you on your excellence as well.”

Egizi is heavily involved in many committees on campus and serves as Chapter Councilor for Alpha Sigma Lambda, an honor society for non-traditional students. He’s also been a panelist for Faculty Development Workshops addressing academic advising and transfer student advising.

The CAPE Award recognizes U of I academic professionals for their efforts in three general categories: work projects, professional development and affiliations, and contributions to their units. The winner receives $500 in cash for personal use, and another $500 is given to the winner’s department.

All academic professionals are eligible to receive the CAPE Award; nominations are reviewed by campus committees and candidates' names are forwarded to the chancellor, who makes the final selections.

Other nominated for the 2011 CAPE Award include James Burgdorf, Carmalita Kemayo, Jim Korte, Tulio Llosa, Carly Shank, and Shawn Craig Shures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In 2003, after 2 years of undergrad work at another college, I had decided college wasn't for me. Somehow my path crossed with Andy's and he introduced me to the LIS program. It is because of Andy I decided to finish my degree and was able to do it with a program that worked for me. He helped me through every step of the process and I couldn't and maybe wouldn't have done it without him. I'm so happy to hear of his award. He's very deserving of it!
- Dave Carter - UIS BA 2005 and MBA 2011

Amy said...

Andy is most certainly deserving of this award. I have been attending UIS solely online as a Liberal Studies major, and as a part time student, and he has always been there to offer advice and answer my many questions.
Congratulations, Andy!!