Chancellor Susan J. Koch presented the award during a luncheon on September 24, 2014. She also thanked all civil service staff members for their dedication to UIS.
Edwards has worked on the grounds crew for more than 9 years. His goal is to make campus even more attractive for students, faculty, staff and visitors.
“The campus itself has inspired me,” said Edwards. “I hope to inspire people by leaving the campus looking better than the way I found it.”
Edwards’ co-workers call him a hard worker. He’s taken on several major projects, including placing more than 100,000 pounds of limestone boulders on a hillside near Brookens Library to help eliminate constant erosion problems. He also recently assisted in creating a waterfall and surrounding landscape near the campus pond.
On campus, he’s known for his friendly attitude and willingness to help. He frequently answers questions from new students and visitors trying to find their way around campus.
“I believe in a smile and a hello and being friendly to the staff and students,” said Edwards. “I believe in doing the best job possible in any project I am given.”
The CARE award was handed out as part of the 8th annual Civil Service Appreciation Day, which honors the over 300 civil service employees at UIS for all of their hard work and dedication. This year’s celebration included a variety of door prize drawings.
Other Civil Service employees nominated for the award include:
- Chad Athey, Stationary Engineer, Building Maintenance
- Alice Bettis, Administrative Aide, Sangamon Auditorium
- Douglas Brackney, Customer Service Representative, Career Development Center
- Ann Cole, Administrative Clerk, COLRS
- Gwen Cribbett, Admissions and Records Officer, Admissions
- Judith Hughes, Chief Clerk, Library Administration
- Dennis Kreher, Steam & Power Plant III, Building Maintenance
- Lindsay Meece, Admissions and Records Officer, Admissions
- Sandra McGinnis, Business/Administrative Associate, Radio Station WUIS
- Randy Moss, Stores Supervisor, Building Maintenance
- Jerry Peebles, Grounds Worker, Grounds
- Patty Stoutamyer, Office Support Specialist, Mathematical Sciences
- Candy Tucker, Food Service Worker II, Food Services
- Beverly Weddle, Office Administrator, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences