Monday, May 04, 2015

Leadership lived: International student becomes leader on campus

When Lakshmi Prathusha Puppala traveled from India to the University of Illinois Springfield she didn’t know much about the campus. However, in her first two semesters on campus, she’s become heavily involved.

The graduate Computer Science major is president of the Indian Student Organization – Cultural, vice president of Global Sisterhood and Casera, an arts and crafts organization.

Puppala also works as a student worker at the UIS Women’s Center and recently took part in the Take Back the Night march and rally to end violence against women.

“Working in the Women’s Center really has been a great experience for me,” she said. “There are many events, every Friday we have TGIF, and now we are having Take Back the Night.”

She says UIS has taught her many leadership skills, such as how to plan a successful event.

“After coming to UIS, I really feel like UIS has given me a great platform to show who I am and show leadership skills,” said Puppala.

She’s also made many friends on campus both from the United States and elsewhere. “I have many international friends here,” she said. “It helps me to know more about different cultures and things that are happening in different countries.”

Overall, she would recommend UIS to fellow international students.

“I love UIS. It’s given me many memories and experiences,” she said.