Friday, June 17, 2016

Leadership lived: Student orientation coordinator helps new students discover UIS

Kylah Foster-Griffin fell in love with the University of Illinois Springfield during a campus tour in high school. Now, the communication major is helping other students discover all that UIS has to offer as a student orientation coordinator.

Foster-Griffin began working as a student orientation leader during the summer of 2015. This year, she was promoted and now supervises almost 20 fellow students.

“It’s a big step,” she said. “I’ve never had to supervise anyone before in my life.”

Members of the orientation staff are responsible for organizing introductory events for all incoming freshmen, transfer and graduate students. They give campus tours, speak at orientation events and make sure new students get connected to the resources they need.

“I really enjoy meeting new faces, new people,” said Foster-Griffin. “I enjoy talking to parents, letting them know what I’ve been through at UIS and telling them that their student can also be successful.”

On campus, Foster-Griffin serves as the traditions chair for the Student Activities Committee, helping to plan UIS Homecoming and Springfest. She also recently served as west side secretary for the Residence Housing Association.

Following graduation from UIS, she plans to pursue her master’s degree and find a job in the higher education administration field.

“I’m very excited for these next two years of my life here at UIS,” she said. “I just can’t wait to see what the future has in store for me.”