Monday, September 05, 2005

Education background assists Bogle

By Melanie Cain

In an effort to learn more about some of UIS’ newest faculty members, we will be interviewing some of them and asking them to share their stories.

Leonard Bogle, now an assistant professor in the EDL program at UIS, has an extensive background in education. He earned his bachelor’s degree in Education from Eastern Illinois University, then enrolled at Illinois State University where he earned a master’s in Educational Administration, a superintendent’s endorsement, and a doctorate.

Recently retired as a school superintendent, Leonard served in that capacity for a total of nine years, the last six in Cerro Gordo, Illinois. Before that, he was a principal for 18 years in Jacksonville and, before that, he spent six tears as a middle school science and physical education teacher in Sparland. He also coached basketball and track during that time.

For the past three years, Leonard has served as an adjunct professor at UIS. “Many of the classes I taught were online, and I developed an online class for bargaining,” he explains. “The position I now fill became available, and I was fortunate enough to be selected to join the EDL faculty.”

For Leonard, the opportunity to become involved in a department for new leaders in education is what he enjoys most about being a professor. “I have always loved teaching and welcome the challenge this position affords me,” says Leonard.

In his free time, Leonard enjoys a variety of activities. “I like to run, lift weights, read, attend concerts and plays, and hit golf balls – occasionally straight,” he says. “I’m also a huge Illini fan. I have season tickets for football and get to as many basketball games as time and money allow.”

Leonard has two grown children, Michael and Stacy. Michael graduated from ISU and now works at Disney World. Stacy graduated from the U of I, lettering two years as a swimmer, and is currently a teacher in the northern suburbs of Chicago.

When asked about his greatest accomplishment, Leonard had two distinct things in mind. “In my personal life, it would be helping raise two great children and seeing them become successful adults,” he says. “As far as my professional life, it would be helping pass a building referendum in Cerro Gordo and working with the teachers and principals to increase achievement levels to the point that the district recently received the Bright Star Award. Only 10 percent of Illinois schools achieve this honor.”

“What I am most looking forward to this year at UIS is getting to know my colleagues on a more personal level and growing and improving as an instructor,” says Leonard. “My goals are to work with the staff and other faculty members to develop new, and enhance existing, online classes in such a manner that UIS will become a national lighthouse for online university classes.”

No comments: