Chancellor Susan J. Koch announced the winner of the award and thanked all civil service staff members for their dedication to UIS.
“I hope I inspire others at UIS by my belief that we should all become involved with the University through service, and feedback, to help make it a better place for us to work and ultimately for the students to develop,” said Marvel.
Marvel has worked tirelessly for the betterment of the campus and her fellow employees. She was one of the founding employees for the UIS Staff Scholarship and has continued to fundraise for it every year since its development. She has severed on the Civil Service Advisory Council for over 10 years and has held many important and time consuming positions.
“Janice is known for her positive helpful attitude on campus. She is in a position that deals with so many departments and individuals on campus and even during the busiest of times strive to assist anyone with their requests,” said the selection committee.
Marvel has worked at UIS for almost 24 years. She is currently vice president of the Civil Service Advisory Council, secretary of the University of Illinois Employee Advisory Council, and the UIS representative on the SURS Members Advisory Committee.
The award was handed out as part of the 7th annual Civil Service Appreciation Day, which honors the approximately 320 civil service employees at UIS for all of their hard work and dedication. This year’s celebration included a variety of door prize drawings.
Other Civil Service employees nominated for the award include:
- Chad Athey, Stationary Engineer, Building Maintenance
- Alice Bettis, Administrative Aide, Sangamon Auditorium
- Rhonda Bussell, Admissions and Records Officer, UIS Peoria Center
- Gwen Cribbett, Admissions and Records Officer, Admissions
- Talonna Elam, Human Resources Representative, Human Resources
- Jerrad Frank, Electrician, Facilities and Services
- Debra Hartz, Staff Clerk, Cox Children’s Center
- Laurie Koehne, Building Service Sub Foreman, Building Services
- Toni Langdon, Business Manager, Illinois Issues
- Pam McGowan, Staff Clerk, Graduate Public Service Internship Program
- Lesly Schoo, Office Manager, Undergraduate Academic Advising
- Beverly Weddle, Office Administrator, College of Liberal Arts and Science