Friday, October 31, 2014

Leadership lived: Volleyball player learns lessons on the court

As a volleyball player at the University of Illinois Springfield, Carly Wesolowski has learned a lot about leadership on and off the court. The communication major chose UIS because of the personalized academic programs and the chance to play volleyball at an NCAA Division II school.

“I am so blessed to be able to be a student-athlete,” she said. “Not a lot of people get the opportunity and it’s really nice that I’m able to come to a great school that will give me a great degree, let me play my sport, and have those volunteering and leadership opportunities.”

At UIS, Wesolowski is also a member of the Capital Scholars Honors Program and often gives back to the Springfield community by volunteering.

On the court, she has learned many lessons about leadership from her coaches and team captains.

“We’re all kind of leaders,” she said. “We all have our spark of leadership either in practice or in games. We all have good feedback to each other.”

Wesolowski has a close relationship with her teammates, jokingly comparing them to a sorority, who is always supportive of their members.

Being a part of a team has taught her how to work as a group and how to work with people.

“We get along great, but there are definitely problems that arise and it’s taught me you have to talk to people, you have to get their side of the story, and work your problems out.”

Following graduation from UIS, Wesolowski plans to work in public relations for a university or athletic program.