Thursday, November 06, 2014

Clarissa Fisher honored with Student Laureate Award from the Lincoln Academy of Illinois

University of Illinois Springfield senior Clarissa Fisher has been honored with the Student Laureate Award from the Lincoln Academy of Illinois.

Fisher, a Rochester, Ill. native, is majoring in Accountancy at UIS. She holds a 4.0 GPA and plans to take the CPA exam upon her graduation. Her plans also include pursuing a career in international financial management.

“I look forward to taking all that I have learned at UIS and applying it to my CPA exam which will open so many doors professionally, though I will not forget the institution that made it possible,” said Fisher.

Following a year in China teaching English and Art to elementary school students, and a subsequent mission trip to Haiti, Fisher found her passion for community service. She is involved with the Family Service Center in Springfield, the Boys and Girls Club of Central Illinois and Big Brothers Big Sisters - Illinois Capital Region.

On campus, Fisher is active with the campus Accounting Society, Habitat for Humanity, and is on her way to becoming a LGBTQA Resource Office Safe Zone member and advocate.

“I am a work in progress,” said Fisher. “I am blessed to be constantly changing as a person and continually improving myself. UIS has given me some incredible opportunities.”

Fisher began her collegiate career at Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis and transferred to UIS. She was the recipient of the Transfer Student Scholarship.

“Personally, I want to do well enough for myself that I can donate my time and efforts to giving others a chance,” said Fisher.

Fisher says her education and experience serving others overseas is helping her carve a path to her future.

“Educationally, I intend to never stop learning because, each experience that I’ve had the privilege to be a part of has shaped me into someone who wants to leave the world a better p
lace,” she said. “I know that sounds contrived, but some extraordinary people who have changed the course of human events have had similar sentiments and I’m glad to count myself among them.”

Each year an outstanding senior from each of the four-year degree-granting institutions of higher learning in Illinois is awarded the Student Lincoln Academy Medallion and thereby becomes a Student Laureate of the Lincoln Academy of Illinois. Student Laureates are honored for their overall excellence in curricular and extracurricular activities.

For more information, contact Derek Schnapp, UIS director of public relations, at 217/206-6716 or dschn3@uis.edu.