Friday, May 27, 2016

Leadership lived: Political Science major helps new students feel at home

Will Newton didn’t know what to expect when he left home to attend the University of Illinois Springfield. Now, the Chicago native and political science major is helping other students make the transition as a Student Ambassador for UIS Admissions.

Newton answers phone calls at the admissions front desk and gives campus tours to prospective students and their parents.

“It gives me a chance to brag about my school a little bit. I always think what I would have wanted to know before I came to UIS,” said Newton.

He’s also a member of the Resident Housing Association, the Catholic Student Organization and the College Republicans. During his first year at UIS, Newton led an effort to organize a group of students to travel to New Jersey to help victims of Hurricane Sandy.

“Every college tells you that you can get involved, you can have leadership roles right at the beginning, but I can honestly say that each of my years I was able to make an impact,” he said.

Following graduation, Newton plans to return to UIS to earn a master’s degree in political science or public administration.

“Then I want to find a job with a state legislator and eventually end up in Washington and maybe run for office,” he said.

Newton knows he made the right decision in choosing UIS and he encourages other students to do the same.

“I would tell them it’s a close-knit community where everybody tries to make sure you succeed at your highest level,” he said.

No comments: